Guide to the paths of spirituality between Amiata and Maremma
A sacred land like Amiata, since the time of the Etruscans scattered with places of spirituality, has welcomed throughout the history emblematic places of religiosity in its various facets. This small guide will take you to know some of the most significant ones ... from the Abbey of S. Antimo to the Tibetan Buddhist Center of Merigar. Six stages not to be missed in this magnificent area starting from Borgo Tepolini !!
ABBEY OF S.ANTIMO
According to legendary tradition, the Abbey was erected at the behest of Charlemagne, but there are no documents confirming this news. The emperor would have founded it in 781, returning from Rome, along the Via Francigena.
It was originally a powerful Benedictine abbey, so much so that in medieval times the abbot was one of the major feudal lords of the Sienese territory exercising authority over 38 churches scattered throughout Tuscany from Pistoia to Grosseto. In 1291 it passed to the Guglielmiti at the behest of Pope Niccolò V and in 1462 it was suppressed by Enea Silvio Piccolomini, Pius II, annexing it to Montalcino, which was elevated to a diocese thanks to the incorporation of the Abbey itself.
In recent times it has returned to being a center of spiritual greatness thanks to the work of a community of Premostratensian Canons (of Augustinian roots) established in this sacred place since 1992. The Abbey houses the "Scout Sant'Antimo Center" . Every Sunday at 11am Mass sung in Gregorian
Possibility of taking Gregorian singing and polyphony courses at the abbey:
ABBEY SAN SALVATORE
In Romanesque style, the first documents date back as a Benedictine foundation to 762. The church was then erected and consecrated under the Abbot Longobardo Winizzo on 13 November 1035. With the bull of Gregory IX of 17 April 1228 it passed to the order of the Cistercians. This Abbey had the moment of greatest splendor from the 10th to the 12th century or during the period of greatest use of the underlying Via Francigena which passed over the valley floor of the Valdorcia. It was a real fief with large areas of land on both sides of the Amiata. It was closed in 1793 and reopened for worship in 1939.
Do not miss the Lombard crypt of Duke Ratchis
MERIGAR WEST - TIBETAN CENTER
The residence of the mountain of fire- The figure and teaching of Chögyal Namkhai Norbu inspired the birth of the International Dzogchen Community whose European headquarters, Merigar, in Italy, was founded in 1981.
The purpose of the settlement is to safeguard the thousand-year-old Tibetan culture. Here, every year,
Thousands of people of all nationalities come together to attend conferences and seminars on Tibetan religion and medicine.
MOUNT LIP - JURISDAVIDICAL TOWER
Always a borderland, Amiata is still today a crossroads and home to different religions that have left traces of their passage. the mystical place par excellence is the area of Monte Labbro, reign in the second half of the 19th century of the Messiah of the Amiata, David Lazzaretti who sculpted with his followers who had hoped for a spiritual and social renewal, a tower on the coma of the mountain, with a church and a hermitage, recently restored. It was chosen by Davide Lazzaretti as the seat of the jurisdictional community he founded. From here you can enjoy a magnificent view of the surrounding valleys.
In the Aldobrandesco castle of Arcidosso, a section dedicated to him has been created to demonstrate that his ideals of peace and equality still survive today.
MONASTERY OF SILOE
The Monastery of the Incarnation of the Siloe community. In the Old Testament Siloe was a swimming pool near Jerusalem, considered sacred, with whose waters Jesus healed a blind man: the farm donated to the monks, on which the monastery complex stands, was called "Piscine" due to the presence of a spring! Hence the idea of naming the new Cistercian monastery in Siloe, built in 2001 by the will of six monks, confident in their neighbor and in the power of prayer, and thanks to the generosity of those who are constantly offering their work for the completion of the monastery.
The project is by an architect from Bergamo, Edoardo Milesi, expert in environmental protection, specialized in bioarchitecture, as well as winner in 2006 of the Legambiente Award for Renewable Energy. Analyzing the characteristics and immersing yourself in the meaning of medieval architecture, Milesi has designed a complex respecting the traditions of the ancient Benedictine rule, albeit aesthetically renewed
AMIATA TOP - MONUMENTAL CROSS
The wrought iron cross, a recognizable symbol of the mountain, was built to commemorate the Holy Year of 1900, following the will of Pope Leo XIII who wanted Crosses to be erected on the highest peaks in Italy. On clear days, from the cross you can see the Ligurian mountains, the Tuscan-Emilian Apennines and the mountain ranges of the Marche and Puglia and those of Corsica. Destroyed by the Germans in 1944, it was erected for the second time in 1946 and illuminated on August 26 with ten thousand bulbs from the same hand as Pope Pius XII, who lit the Cross from Rome.
For info and reservations write to us: $