• s.antimo sito.jpg
  • merigar sito.jpg
  • torre-giurisdavidica-monte-labbro.jpg

Guide to the paths of spirituality between Amiata and Maremma

A sacred land like the Amiata, since the time of the Etruscans scattered with places of spirituality, has welcomed throughout the history emblematic places of religiosity in its various facets. This little guide will lead you to know some of the most significant ... from the Abbey of St. Antimo to the Tibetan Buddhist Center of Merigar. Six stages not to be missed in this magnificent area starting from Borgo Tepolini !!

According to legendary tradition, the Abbey was erected at the behest of Charlemagne, but there are no documents confirming this news. The emperor would have founded it in 781, returning from Rome, along the Via Francigena.
It was originally a powerful Benedictine abbey, so much so that in medieval times the abbot was one of the major feudal lords of the Sienese territory exercising authority over 38 churches scattered throughout Tuscany from Pistoia to Grosseto. In 1291 it passed to Guglielmiti at the behest of Pope Nicholas V and in 1462 was suppressed by Enea Silvio Piccolomini, Pius II, annexing it to Montalcino, which was elevated to the diocese thanks to the incorporation of the Abbey itself.
In recent times it has returned to being a center of spiritual greatness thanks to the work of a community of Premonstratensian Regular Canons (of Augustinian roots) established in this sacred place since 1992. The Abbey houses the "Centro Scout Sant'Antimo" . Every Sunday at 11 o'clock mass sung in Gregorian
Possibility to follow courses of Gregorian chant and polyphony at the abbey:
In Romanesque style, the first documents date back to the foundation of the Benedictine foundation in 762. The church was later erected and consecrated under the Lombard Abbot Winizzo on 13 November 1035. With the bull of Gregory IX of 17 April 1228 it passed to the Cistercian order. This abbey had its moment of greatest splendor from the 10th to the 12th century, that is during the period of greatest use of the underlying Via Francigena which passed through the valley bottom of the Valdorcia. It was a true fiefdom with large extensions of land on both sides of the Amiata. It was closed in 1793 and reopened for worship in 1939.
Do not miss the Longobarda crypt of the Duke Ratchis

The residence of the mountain of fire - The figure and teaching of Chögyal Namkhai Norbu inspired the birth of the International Dzogchen Community whose European headquarters, Merigar, in Italy, was founded in 1981.
The purpose of the settlement is to safeguard the thousand-year-old Tibetan culture. Here, every year,
thousands of people of all nationalities meet to attend conferences and seminars on Tibetan religion and medicine.
Always a borderland, the Amiata is still today a crossroads and home to different religions that have left traces of their passage. the mystical place par excellence is the area of Monte Labbro, reign, in the second half of the 800 of the Amiata Messiah, David Lazzaretti who sculpted in his followers who had hoped for a spiritual and social renewal, a tower on the coma of the monte, with a church and a hermitage, recently restored. It was chosen by Davide Lazzaretti as the seat of the Jurisdidical community he founded. From here you can enjoy a magnificent view of the surrounding valleys.
In the Aldobrandesco castle of Arcidosso a section has been created dedicated to him to demonstrate that his ideals of peace and equality still survive today.
The Monastery of the Incarnation of the Siloe community. In the Old Testament, Siloe was a swimming pool near Jerusalem, considered sacred, with whose waters Jesus healed a blind man: the farm given to the monks, on which stands the monasterial complex, was called "Piscine" due to the presence of a spring! Hence the idea of naming Siloe the new Cistercian monastery, founded in 2001 by the will of six monks, confident in the next and in the power of prayer, and thanks to the generosity of those who are constantly offering their work for the completion of the monastery.
The project is by an architect from Bergamo, Edoardo Milesi, expert in environmental protection, specialized in bio-architecture, as well as winner in 2006 of the Legambiente Renewable Energy Award. Analyzing the characteristics and immersing themselves in the meaning of medieval architecture, Milesi designed a complex respecting the traditions of the ancient Benedictine rule, although aesthetically renewed
The wrought iron cross, recognizable symbol of the mountain, was built as a remembrance of the Holy Year of 1900, following the will of Pope Leo XIII who wanted Croci to be erected on the highest peaks of Italy. From the cross, on clear days, you can see the Ligurian mountains, the Tuscan-Emilian Apennines and the mountain ranges of the Marche and Puglia and those of Corsica. Destroyed by the Germans in 1944, it was erected for the second time in 1946 and illuminated on August 26 with ten thousand light bulbs from the same hand of Pope Pius XII, who from Rome lit the Cross.
Per info e prenotazioni scrivici: /contact